Albury’s four churches
There has been a tradition of Christian worship in Albury for more than a thousand years.
The parish of Albury is unusual as it has four churches.
The parish church of St Peter and St Paul which is in the heart of Albury, the Barn church, St Michael’s in Farley Green, the Saxon Church in Albury Park and the Catholic Apostolic Church at Sherbourne.
St Peter & St Paul’s church is a remarkable example of Victorian architecture. It was consecrated in 1842 when it replaced the Old Saxon Church in Albury Park.
St Michael’s Church is a converted 19th century barn It was given by Clara Courtney-Wells to be converted into a church as a memorial to her husband. It was dedicated in 1930. Services are held here periodically.
The charity ‘Friends of St. Michael’s church, Farley Green’ was formed in 1984 when there was a proposal to close the church. The Friend’s have maintained and preserved the fabric of the church and recently added kitchen and toilet facilities to extend the use of the building.
The Saxon church, also St Peter & St Paul is in the grounds of Albury Park. The building dates from Saxon and Norman times. This church is now maintained by the Churches Conservation Trust (CCT). There are services held at Christmas, Easter and mid-summer.
The Friends of Albury Old Saxon Church are currently raising funds for the restoration of the fabric of the church and restoration of the Drummond Chapel (in association with the CCT). They present concerts, plays and other events.
For further details see Friends of Albury Old Saxon Church
The Apostle’s Chapel in Sherbourne is not open to the public and not used for services. It is maintained by the Trustees of the Catholic Apostolic Church.